Saturday, February 14, 2015

Growth Hormone Test - MRI with sedation

With the failing results of the first 2 growth hormone stimulation testing, the next step is an MRI, with sedation. We arrived at the hospital around 10:45 and after a few minutes of wandering around Methodist Hospital, we finally arrived at the registration area. We waited awhile (we were early!) before a sweet nurse named Annette came and escorted us to the pre-op area.

Mason did pretty good waiting for a while, with the help of my phone and Minecraft! It wasn't until we had to go into the bathroom and change into the hospital gown that he started screaming. He DID NOT want to change into that gown. I was able to get him dressed and we went back to our bed where we waited for about an hour (in between that time included getting his IV put in to his hand)

They put his IV in his hand this time, which was different from before but after the initial poke and watching the little bit of blood flow out onto the blanket, we both did okay (granted, watching the nurse move the needle around under the skin was making me a little queasy!).
We were in the pre-op area for about an hour and Mason was finally settled down when we pulled out the books we bought from the school's Book Fair earlier that day.
The doctor finally came in and we talked about the anesthesia, and it took Mason a little longer than usual to accept the anesthesia and fall asleep, but then they wheeled him off and sent me on my way to the waiting room.

As soon as I sat down, I noticed the tiles in the ceiling were either painted or covered, and this is the tile directly above where I sat down. If you know Mason, he LOVES dolphins! I just had to smile! Not long after, a family came in and I scooted over so they could sit together and I noticed the father had a TLU pullover on so I asked whether he went there and talking with them helped pass the time while I was waiting.

About an hour later, the nurse came to get me to take me back to recovery where Mason was sleeping so soundly. It took him a while to come out of it, and he quickly jumped on the offer of a popsicle! 


  
He didn't throw up or go back to sleep as expected with the anesthesia, but I sure was asleep by 9!

No comments: